Our background is in ecology and conservation. Being ethical and sustainable in choosing the ingredients and packaging for our product is very important. At Meraki Cacao we choose suppliers that care about people and the environment and that produce ingredients in an organic and fair way. We are working hard to make sure our packaging will match our ethical standards too. The cellophane wrapper can be recycled and our labels are printed on recycled paper and printed with vegetable inks.
Here’s a bit about the ingredients in our cacao bars and their health benefits
Raw Organic Cacao
We choose to use raw cacao nibs in our bars to preserve as many nutrients as possible. We use suppliers who choose 100% organic raw Criollo cacao beans, which are prized for their superior flavour. They are sustainably grown by small holders, in the Amazon area of Peru.
There are numerous scientific studies on the health benefits of raw cacao. Here’s a short summary:
- Raw cacao can be good for your heart. The Aztecs always knew this and studies have shown that eating raw cacao can reduce the risk of coronary heart disease and stroke. Raw cacao contains high levels of magnesium which is important for maintaining healthy hearts.
- Raw cacao has more than 40 times the level of antioxidants of blueberries. Antoxidants are important for maintaining good cholesterol.
- Raw cacao contains very high levels of iron – the highest source in plant based foods. Iron is necessary for transporting oxygen around our body and essential for our energy levels and healthy blood.
- Raw cacao has higher levels of calcium than dairy milk. Calcium is necessary for healthy bones and teeth.
- Raw cacao contains a chemical called phenylethylamine (PEA). PEA boosts your mood and increases your energy levels. Cacao also contains serotonin, dopamine and anandamide which help make you feel happy.
Palmyra Blossom Nectar
It is low in fructose, has a low Glycemic Index and supports normal insulin functions.
In terms of vitamins and minerals it is:
- The ONLY plant based source of Vitamin B12 – essential for a healthy nervous system and blood.
- Rich in Vitamins B1, B2, B6 and B3 – essential for normal brain, muscle and heart function, prevents fatigue and allows energy release.
- Rich in iron – essential for normal red blood cell function and carrying oxygen around the body.
- Rich in potassium – essential for maintaining fluid balance in the body.
- Rich in magnesium – essential for a range of functions including energy release, muscle and hormone functions.
We use Palmyra blossom nectar in all our products for its health benefits and because it is organic, sustainable and wild harvested. It’s also delicious!
We get our Palmyra blossom nectar from www.sugavida.co.uk
Raw Organic Cacao Butter
Cacao butter is the pure, cold-pressed oil of the cacao bean. As the production of this cacao butter does not exceed 46 degrees celsius, it is more nutrient dense than cocoa butter.
Lucuma is a good source of fibre. It is also rich in Zinc, Calcium, Iron, Vitamin B3 (Niacin) and Vitamin C.
Lucuma also contains high levels of antioxidants which have a range of health benefits including increasing cardiovascular health.
Organic Cashew Nuts
Cashew nuts are also rich in Copper and Magnesium – essential for many enzyme functions and nervous system.
Organic Hemp Powder
The balance between Omega 3 and Omega 6 oils in hemp is known to promote healthy hearts. It is also high in fibre and helps to regulate blood sugar and reduce sugar cravings.
Almonds are a good source of healthy mono-unsaturated fats. They are also rich on Vitamin E, an antioxidant necessary for good health.
They are also high in Magnesium, Potassium, Manganese, Copper and Vitamin B2 which all help with maintaining a functioning nervous system and energy production.
Almonds also have a low Glycemic Index and prevent spikes in blood sugar.
Hazelnuts are a rich source of antioxidants boosting health. They also contain high levels of Vitamin E, Thiamine, Manganese and Magnesium. These help to improve brain and cognitive function as well as maintaining a functioning nervous system.
Hazelnuts also have a low Glycemic Index and prevent spikes in blood sugar.